This day we remember



We rode into town the other day,
Just me and my Daddy.
He said I’d finally reached that age,
And I could ride next to him on a horse,
That of course was not quite as wide.
We heard a crowd of people shouting,
And so we stopped to find out why.
There was that man that my dad said he loved,
But today there was fear in his eyes.

So I said Daddy why are they screaming?
Why are the faces of some of them beaming?
Why is he dressed in that bright purple robe?
I bet that crown hurts him more than he shows.
Daddy please can’t you do something?
He looks as if he’s going to cry.
You said he is stronger than all of those guys,
Daddy please tell me why,
Why does everyone want him to die?

Later that day the sky grew cloudy,
And daddy said I should go inside.
Somehow he knew things would get stormy,
Boy was he right.
But I could not keep from wondering,
If there was something that he had to hide.
So after he left I had to find out,
I was not afraid of getting lost.
So I followed the crowds,
to a hill where I knew men had been killed.
And I heard a voice come from a cross:

And it said : Father why are they screaming
Why are the faces of some of them beaming?
Why are they casting their lots for my clothes?
This crown of thorns hurts me more than it shows.
Father please can’t you do something?
I know that you must hear my cry.
I thought I could handle a cross of this size,
Father remind me why,
Why does everyone want me to die.
When will I understand why?

My precious Son, I hear them screaming.
I’m watching the face of the enemy beaming,
But soon I will clothe you in robes of my own.
Jesus this hurts me much more than you know.
But this dark hour I must do nothing,
I’ve heard your unbearable cry.
The power in your blood destroys all the lies,
Soon you’ll see past their unmerciful eyes.
Look there below see the child,
Trembling by her father’s side.
Now I can tell you why,
She is why you must die.

---

When the streets have no name starts playing its quite weird though haha.

Its a long weekend and yes, everyone wants their good break, time to relax a little and party. Legitimate I guess, since we finally get a break. Still in the midst of everything that we are doing, let us not forget why this holiday exists.

We remember the sacrifice upon the cross. Though we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. The veil has been torn.

---


Question: "What was the significance of the temple veil being torn in two when Jesus died?"

Answer: During the lifetime of Jesus, the holy temple in Jerusalem was the center of Jewish religious life. The temple was the place where animal sacrifices were carried out and worship according to the Law of Moses was followed faithfully. Hebrews 9:1-9 tells us that in the temple a veil separated the Holy of Holies—the earthly dwelling place of God’s presence—from the rest of the temple where men dwelt. This signified that man was separated from God by sin (Isaiah 59:1-2). Only the high priest was permitted to pass beyond this veil once each year (Exodus 30:10; Hebrews 9:7) to enter into God's presence for all of Israel and make atonement for their sins (Leviticus 16).

Solomon's temple was 30 cubits high (1 Kings 6:2), but Herod had increased the height to 40 cubits, according to the writings of Josephus, a first century Jewish historian. There is uncertainty as to the exact measurement of a cubit, but it is safe to assume that this veil was somewhere near 60 feet high. Josephus also tells us that the veil was four inches thick and that horses tied to each side could not pull the veil apart. The book of Exodus teaches that this thick veil was fashioned from blue, purple and scarlet material and fine twisted linen.

The size and thickness of the veil makes the events occurring at the moment of Jesus’ death on the cross so much more momentous. “And when Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, he gave up his spirit. At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom” (Matthew 27:50-51a).

So, what do we make of this? What significance does this torn veil have for us today? Above all, the tearing of the veil at the moment of Jesus' death dramatically symbolized that His sacrifice, the shedding of His own blood, was a sufficient atonement for sins. It signified that now the way into the Holy of Holies was open for all people, for all time, both Jew and Gentile.

When Jesus died, the veil was torn, and God moved out of that place never again to dwell in a temple made with hands (Acts 17:24). God was through with that temple and its religious system, and the temple and Jerusalem were left “desolate” (destroyed by the Romans) in A.D. 70, just as Jesus prophesied in Luke 13:35. As long as the temple stood, it signified the continuation of the Old Covenant. Hebrews 9:8-9 refers to the age that was passing away as the new covenant was being established (Hebrews 8:13).

In a sense, the veil was symbolic of Christ Himself as the only way to the Father (John 14:6). This is indicated by the fact that the high priest had to enter the Holy of Holies through the veil. Now Christ is our superior High Priest, and as believers in His finished work, we partake of His better priesthood. We can now enter the Holy of Holies through Him. Hebrews 10:19-20 says that the faithful enter into the sanctuary by the “blood of Jesus, by the new and living way which he opened for us through the veil, that is, through his flesh.” Here we see the image of Jesus’ flesh being torn for us just as He was tearing the veil for us.

The veil being torn from top to bottom is a fact of history. The profound significance of this event is explained in glorious detail in Hebrews. The things of the temple were shadows of things to come, and they all ultimately point us to Jesus Christ. He was the veil to the Holy of Holies, and through His death the faithful now have free access to God.

The veil in the temple was a constant reminder that sin renders humanity unfit for the presence of God. The fact that the sin offering was offered annually and countless other sacrifices repeated daily showed graphically that sin could not truly be atoned for or erased by mere animal sacrifices. Jesus Christ, through His death, has removed the barriers between God and man, and now we may approach Him with confidence and boldness (Hebrews 4:14-16).

---



Oh Lord You've searched me
You know my ways
Even when I fail You
I know You love me

Your holy presence
Surrounding me
In every season
I know You love me
I know You love me

At the cross I bow my knee
Where Your blood was shed for me
There's no greater love than this
You have overcome the grave
Your glory fills the highest place
What can separate me now?

You go before me
You shield my way
Your hand upholds me
I know You love me

You tore the veil
You made a way
When You said that it is done

And when the earth fades
falls from my eyes
You stand before me
I know You love me
I know You love me