Im an old man



And I'd give up forever to touch you
'Cause I know that you feel me somehow
You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be
And I don't want to go home right now

And all I can taste is this moment
And all I can breathe is your life
'Cause sooner or later it's over
I just don't want to miss you tonight

And I don't want the world to see me
'Cause I don't think that they'd understand
When everything's made to be broken
I just want you to know who I am

And you can't fight the tears that ain't coming
Or the moment of truth in your lies
When everything feels like the movies
Yeah you bleed just to know you're alive

And I don't want the world to see me
'Cause I don't think that they'd understand
When everything's made to be broken
I just want you to know who I am

And I don't want the world to see me
'Cause I don't think that they'd understand
When everything's made to be broken
I just want you to know who I am

And I don't want the world to see me
'Cause I don't think that they'd understand
When everything's made to be broken
I just want you to know who I am
I just want you to know who I am
I just want you to know who I am
I just want you to know who I am

---

I feel abit sad actually, realising that the new generation will grow up not knowing songs like these. Iris, 1998. At the beginning, 1997. A thousand miles, 2000.

The new children, they will grow up listening to Justin Bieber, Rhianna, Katy Perry, Taylor Swift and Kpop. They would have no clue about all those things we used to listen to. I find that a pity. As much as people may protest that those artists are pretty good, I just feel that its not the kind of things I would associate with childhood songs. Sure we had nonsense in our days too, I know I grew up listening to the vengaboys and all their boom boom boom boom.

Yes, when you're eighteen, you gotta realise that you're old. It suddenly hits me that more than half of the kids in the camp are born in, or after the new millennium. It hits me that the youth that are now up and rising are those of Gen Z and not Gen Y any longer.

We are the last of Gen Y, and we are now in transition.

One defining trademark of Gen Z children is that they grow up with the world wide web. And that necessarily means they grew up in a very different society. I can still remember the days of young where no one used the internet (though it existed), then the days of dial ups and floppy disks and waiting for 30 seconds for my next page in neopets to load.

Older people will always draw us to the fact that they are older. Yes thats true. But it doesnt change the fact that we are no longer the youth. Logging in on to any online game, and you'll realise that majority of the people playing are younger than me now when it used to be the other way round. Suddenly, there are famous pop icons who are younger than you.

Soon the guys are entering to the army. I remember as a kid how that always seemed to distant, something that would never come. The girls are entering university. And I always remembered as a child that university is a school for adults.

So we're old. Not in comparison with the world's population still of course, but we have finally reached a point where there is a generation gap between us and the younger ones.

We can no longer pretend to be children even if we try.

---