Symphony

Found this on Cheryl's blog some time back =).



We built a tall, tall tower
Towards the sun, towards the sun
Took some words and built a wall
And called it love, called it love

And somewhere in all the talking
The meaning faded out

Oh I wonder
When did it all stop making sense
I don't understand
I remember
We were so sure, so innocent
Oh but that was then
Can we ever go back again?
Can we ever go back again?

You're speaking a dead, dead language
You don't sound like yourself
I hope it's just lost in translation
Why don't you show, don't try to tell

Brick by brick we started crumbling
Will I find you when it falls?

Oh I wonder
When did it all stop making sense?
I don't understand
I remember
We were so sure, so innocent
Oh but that was then
Can we ever go back again?
Can we ever go back again?

Don't hold your breath
Look around
Try to add it up
Pin it down
But you can't

Oh I wonder
When did it all stop making sense
I don't understand
I remember
We were so sure, so innocent
Oh but that was then
Can we ever go back again?
Can we ever go back again?

---

I was lamenting the fact that the songs that I really like can hardly be found on any karaoke outlets. There are exceptions to this rule of course, notable cases being At The Beginning and Thousand Miles, yet majority of other songs are simply pop hits that I have began to lost an interest in. And lots of mandopop too haha thats for sure, but no songs like that one above. Nor things along the lines of brooke fraser's songs.

Two things I thought of since. Firstly, I guess it just goes to show that theses songs arent really noticed nor regarded highly. Instead, they are only appreciated by some people. Whats so likable about these songs that differ from the current day pop songs? Well if you ask me, the current day pop songs are catchier, and they feed the masses with what they want. These other songs however are borne out of the artist's thoughts and emotions and not really influenced by what others want to hear. Generally, I find their lyrics much more meaningful and even poetic I suppose.

Secondly, I then wonder, are these the kind of songs I really want to sing at karaoke anyway? They seem more reflective and personal, something I would silently sing to myself rather than in the presence of other people as I contemplate the words and what they mean to me. Maybe with other people who share the same sentiments, its alright.

Anyway, didnt really get to do my rendition of kuai le chong bai heh. I should add that to my things to do after IB, master the entire song hehe.

Its alright though, it was pretty awkward being there when everyone else present were really good singers while I go offkey heh.

---

I thought bynes and joy were a pretty hilarious duo. The humour was not so much in the words but in the actions. It was pretty fun to sit with them during karaoke and dinner heh. Too bad joy's leaving soon.

Pursing psychology under scholarship overseas huh? I get the impression that shes one who actually understands psychology for what it is and not the mere pop psychology level that most people have when they say 'i wanna study psychology' (not that I have any reason for saying so, just the feeling haha).

If I can get a scholarship with a bond, I think I would love to take that course. Without a bond though, psychology frankly isnt that great practically I suppose. Then maybe I'll go for history. Though I have no idea what in the world I'll do with that either. Teaching is the only path I suppose, in the footsteps of the history teachers before me. Yet again, is that what I want to do?

All that talk about the hokkien mee stalls with the IB cert that I have told so many people has some truth in it. Yet, unless im owning an F&B chain or something, I dont really foresee myself putting on an apron and cooking in the nearby hawker centre for the rest of my life. Sure it has its perks, but no, I dont think I could live like that.

Who knows. I'll just move ahead and let God direct my steps.

---