Thought provoking



I was reading about KONY 2012 (which seems to be dying off already, thats pretty quick heh) and stumbled upon General Butt Naked. Couldnt help but be highly amused at the name so I went to find out more about this person who was supposed to be far more terrible than Joseph Kony.

Well I read up and yea, he makes Kony look like a wuss.

The thing is, what I also found out is this mad, murderous General Butt Naked is that today, he goes by the name Pastor Joshua Milton Blahyi.

Wait what?

Well some people are skeptical about his conversion, believing that he is a brilliant trickster who is trying to get out trouble for all the terrible crimes he has committed. I dont know about that, and from what I gather, I wouldnt quite agree. I find that this man is one who has genuinely repented for all his past atrocities. I cant be sure though, but thats what I feel.

Well heres a sympathetic account of him today and heres a more skeptical one.

Im not going to spend time pondering whether his radical change is genuine or trickery, but reading the story of  General Butt Naked (sigh, how to keep a serious tone with a name like that)  Joshua Blahyi forces me to think hard.

How far can we extend forgiveness to a man? God forgives, but can Man do it? We're talking about a cruel man who killed thousands of people, cannibalized, performed human child sacrifices, operated a child army, fed drugs to that child army, and the list goes on. Inhumane does not even begin to describe it. The people of Liberia continue to attempt assassination attempts on him, they seek justice for all he has done. Sitting behind the computer screen miles and miles away, its easier to forgive, but maybe not so if you were one whose life had been permanently scarred by him.

Can we truly ever escape the horror of the past? God may say that our past sins are washed clean, but till we enter the gates of heaven, can we ever truly rise from the ashes? Maybe we can, but the things we do are nothing compared to Joshua Blahyi, and every single day he lives, he will have to live with the memory of all he has done searing in his mind, he will face people who hate him with all their heart, soul, mind and strength.

His story reminds me greatly of Paul, who as Saul had persecuted the Christians but after his change of ways, he became of such importance to the Christian faith. Even Paul took a long time to gain the trust of the Christians again and I suppose perhaps if he manages to live for another few, I dunno, decades perhaps, we could see if he is genuine and if things will change for the better for him if so.

I dont know, but it really makes me think, dont really like it when I dont have an answer.

P.S. Read the comment sections for the two posts too. Obviously as the internet is being the internet, its full of people who will slam and scream for his death, oversimplyfing everything to 'HE SHOULD BE DEAD' and not actually adding any value to the discussion. Aside from that annoying majority though, theres the minority on both sides of the debate who actually raise good solid points.

---