Obedience



John Bevere's book Enemy Access Denied also speaks (albeit more briefly) of the union between love and fear  and how they work in conjunction to guide us in obedience. The latter is often not emphasized nowadays in churches but Bevere speaks of it as a necessary core ingredient. It is a very interesting union, and I thought I'd share the verses which Bevere quotes in chapter 7.

If you love me, you will keep My commandments.
- John 14:15

This doesnt speak of proving your love my keeping the commandments. God already knows whether you love Him or not, what it says is simply that if you do love God, it is only natural that you will keep His commandments. Think about the people whom you love and how you would be willing to do so much for them.

I will delight myself in Your statues; I will not forget Your word.
- Psalm 119:16

I delight to do Your will, O my God.
- Psalms 40:8

David delights in obeying God. Delight, perhaps in today's society of rebellion and having our way, its a little hard to imagine taking pleasure and enjoyment from obedience, but that is what David experiences, and it is what keeps him going forward, that he may become known as a man after God's own heart.

Therefore, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it.
- Hebrews 4:1

Therefore, having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfection holiness in the fear of God.
- 2 Corinthians 7:1

I think of my relationship with my dad, and how when I was young when I wasn't exactly very wise and didn't agree with him even though he knew better. Yet many a times I would keep his 'law' of the house because of the fear of judgement. Its slightly different because I wasn't exactly in awe of my dad or anything, but similar concepts.

Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.
- Philippians 2:12-13

The fear of God yields the strength to obey while the lack of it leads to disobedience. With reverence and awe, we choose to follow.

---

It has been a rather interesting and insightful read so far. The concept of disobedience as the door which gives access to satan and how deceit is employed in leading us to rebellion. Disobedience communicates to those around us that we know more than God knows. God demands obedience, not sacrifice, and that means that thinking that you are doing things for God but doing it your own way, disobeying His will, that is worth nothing.

Still a couple more chapters to go, and the chapters look interesting. 'Grace that misleads', 'the fight of faith', 'humility - the road to success' being some examples. I feel like jumping straight into them actually haha, but its a good habit to not read more than one chapter a day, gonna take time to digest yea?

Te canta mi alma, de cuanto yo te amo.

---