Perks



Just finished this book (its impossible to borrow it from the library the demand is so high but I found a pdf online). I didn't watch the movie as I figured that the book probably would have captured what the author wanted to portray more accurately, especially since the book was written in the form of letters from the first person perspective of Charlie and I doubt a movie would capture that perspective in quite the same way.

Haha I think I'm a sucker for books like this. First person point of view, growing up and facing life. Books like extremely loud and incredibly close as well as the curious incident of the dog in the night time. I find the character of Charlie very interesting, not so much in the things he does but the thoughts behind them. I suppose you could say that Charlie understands people, and through his eyes we come to understand people too, including people like Charlie himself.

Though I feel Charlie seems overly retarded and not acting his age at the start of the book heh.

Anyway, if there was one word I'd use to describe this book, it would be 'quotable'. It sure can put the emotions people feel as well as the perspectives people have in words.

So how could I not spam the quotes I really liked here =p. And no I'm not going to put the famous 'I feel infinite' quote which doesn't mean anything when it is taken out of context heh.

I look at people holding hands in the hallways, and I try to think about how it all works. At the school dances, I sit in the background, and I tap my toe, and I wonder how many couples will dance to 'their song.' In the hallways, I see the girls wearing the guys’ jackets, and I think about the idea of property. And I wonder if anyone is really happy. I hope they are. I really hope they are.

"Charlie, we accept the love we think we deserve."
(Another quote that is often taken out of context heh)

I just think it's bad when a boy looks at a girl and thinks that the way he sees her is better than she actually is. And I think it's bad when the most honest way a boy can look at a girl is through a camera.

I am very interested and fascinated by how everyone loves each other, but no one really likes each other.

I walked over to the hill where we used to go and sled. There were a lot of little kids there. I watched them flying. Doing jumps and having races. And I thought that all those little kids are going to grow up someday. And all of those little kids are going to do the things that we do. And they will all kiss someone someday. But for now, sledding is enough. I think it would be great if sledding were always enough, but it isn't.

Sometimes, I look outside, and I think that a lot of other people have seen this snow before. Just like I think that a lot of other people have read those books before. And listened to those songs. I wonder how they feel tonight...And all the books you’ve read have been read by other people. And all the songs you’ve loved have been heard by other people. And that girl that’s pretty to you is pretty to other people. And you know that if you looked at these facts when you were happy, you would feel great because you are describing “unity”. It’s like when you are excited about a girl and you see a couple holding hands, and you feel so happy for them. And other times you see the same couple, and they make you so mad. And all you want is to always feel happy for them because you know that if you do, then it means you’re happy, too.

I walk around the school hallways and look at the people. I look at the teachers and wonder why they're here. If they like their jobs. Or us. And I wonder how smart they were when they were fifteen. Not in a mean way. In a curious way. It's like looking at all the students and wondering who's had their heart broken that day, and how they are able to cope with having three quizzes and a book report due on top of that. Or wondering who did the heart breaking. And wondering why.

But because things change. And friends leave. And life doesn’t stop for anybody.

"Charlie, don't you get it? I can't feel that. It's sweet and everything, but it's like you're not even there sometimes. It's great that you can listen and be a shoulder to someone, but what about when someone doesn't need a shoulder. What if they need the arms or something like that? You can't just sit there and put everybody's lives ahead of yours and think that counts as love. You just can't. You have to do things."
"Like what?" I asked. My mouth was dry.
"I don't know. Like take their hands when the slow song comes up for a change. Or be the one who asks someone for a date. Or tell people what you need. Or what you want."

So I guess we are who we are for a lot of reasons. And maybe we'll never know most of them. But even if we don't have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there. We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them.

---