Brutal Romantic - First Impressions



There was alot of hype for me when this album was first announced, and I was really patiently looking forward to it. Brooke Fraser mentioned that she would be trying out a new sound since long ago and I thought, sure why not?

Then one day Psychosocial, her first single for the album came out, and I was like...the heck is this?

I mean, it was alright, I didn't dislike it or anything. Just that it definitely didn't sound like my favourite artist Brooke Fraser whom I had been following all these years. The chorus with the words 'psychosocial' ringing out four times with the electronic sounded pretty meaningless. There wasn't that something special that for me had always differentiated her from all the other artists.

Brooke Fraser was an artist who I always loved because of the words she crafted, and I was prepared to accept a heavier, electronic sound sure, but not giving up on the beautifully crafted words. Some of these words have inspired me greatly in my life, and what I heard in that single didn't sound quite like that. "I love your protection but I don't love you"? What is that even supposed to mean.

As it turns out, it's actually "I love your projection but I don't love you", which makes alot more sense, and then you realise the song is actually about social media. That's fine it'll pass. Yet, I still felt it to be a far cry from my expectations.

"Cos if I add, if I subtract
If I give it all, try to take some back
I've forgotten the freedom that comes from the fact
That You are the sum
So You are the one, I want"
- Arithmetic

"I could write a million songs about the way you say my name
I could live a lifetime with you and then do it all again
and like I can't force the sun to rise or hasten summer's start,
neither should I rush my way into your heart"
- Love is Waiting

"Am I lost or just less found? On the straight or on the roundabout of the wrong way?
Is this a soul that stirs in me, is it breaking free, wanting to come alive?
Cos my comfort would prefer for me to be numb
and avoid the impending birth of who I was born to become"
- C.S. Lewis Song

"We are more than dust
That means something
That means something
We are more than just
Blood and emotions
Inklings and notions
Atoms on oceans"
- Hosea's Wife

And generally the whole album of Flags is so beautifully crafted and the songs often tell a story so I can't quite just post one section of it.
Who are we Fooling
Ice on her Lashes
Flags

Not to forget of course, all the songs that were sung for Hillsong.
Desert Song
Hosanna
I will Exalt You
Lead Me to the Cross
None but Jesus
Soon
You'll Come

So...I feel pretty sad about it. I really wanted to hear some new, really inspiring songs or songs which I could relate to. This album has a couple of interesting songs sure, but they are more of 'cool it's a pretty nice song I'd listen to it', rather than the song that really speaks to me. To me, that just puts it on the same level as any other song I listen to, and I really expected more.

I respect the decision to move towards a different sound, but it seems that more than that has changed. Was looking forward to buy not one but a few copies of the album last year, but I guess not anymore.

---

Je Suis Pret is probably the best song in this album.

As the best song in the album, it still isn't quite there compared to the other A+ songs, it'll go into my listening list certainly, but it wouldn't be the same.

I looked away while the water was receding
I looked away for a second, for a second
And it’s gone, everyone was caught sleeping

I am awake and the air is pulsating
I am awake, as it gathers, see it growing 
I’m in doubt, here it comes, am I ready?
Am I ready?

See the tempest looking my way
Drain the skies of all their color
And I need eye to eye 
With a fire in my breast
Je suis pret
I am ready, I am ready
Je suis pret
I am ready, I am ready

I will be healed, and my brother, so shall you be
Stand over here, by my side
We will awake to the river, to the river
Washing away all our shy

See the tempest looking my way
Drain the skies of all their color
And I need eye to eye 
With a fire in my breast
Je suis pret
I am ready, I am ready
Je suis pret
I am ready, I am ready

Wash away
Wash away
Wash away
Wash away

See the tempest looking my way
Drain the skies of all their color
And we need eye to eye 
With a fire in our breast
Nous sommes prĂȘts
We are ready, we are ready
Nous sommes prĂȘts
We are ready, we are ready

There's some meaning in this too, but it's dipping a little into that subtle 'it's all up to how you interpret' thing, which sure its fine, but for someone who really appreciates good lyrics, I find it too compromising.

If you have a message, say it. This interpret however you like it thing works in trying to make as many people listen to your song and interpret it however they want, and sure I'm not against that, but it really loses the impact. Kings and Queens is the other song which I enjoy, and it is the same thing.

I don't deny there are good stuff. For example, Je Suis Pret really does sound pretty epic. The combination of vocals, music and the lyrics is excellent. If Florence + the machine sang this, I would be really happy with it.

I guess, I just expected something different. For an artist like Florence + the machine, I would be more interested in the music than the lyrics. I listen to Brooke Fraser for the inspiring and relatable lyrics and this time, that didn't quite hit the mark.

---