Tethered


I learnt the art of biting my tongue
I'm tired of trying to guess what was wrong
Both agreed on where we should go, but not how to get there
We tried and tried to loosen the knots
Thinking once we're untangled we'll be better off
But it's these failures and faults that hold us together

Better or worse but what else can we do
When better or worse I am tethered to you
If it's not either of us tell me who are we fooling

This beautiful tangle that's bruising us blue
Is the beautiful knot that we just can't undo
Together we're one but apart tell me who are we fooling

'Cause real love is hard love
It's all we have
It's a break neck
Train wreck
It's all we have

So we're back here again
Turning away from the edge of the end
Arm in arm

Journeying through life together is not easy, and sometimes not in ways we imagine it would be. The thing is, the more lives are intertwined, the more smaller things become magnified. Things that would ordinarily be non-issues in other relationships increase in scale and can have significant impact. Part and parcel of living two lives.

Just because some things are made harder though, doesn't mean it isn't worth it. It just takes some figuring out I guess. Real love is hard love. It can be messy, painful and frustrating, and that's alright. At the end of the day, better or worse, arm in arm we move forward.

---