Satisfaction 99%


Anddd we're done with season 2 of mob psycho. Was an amazing ride.

I have to say, season 2 is substantially different from season 1. Season 1 had a much stronger focus on comedy and was a lot more like one punch man in that regard. Season 2 still had its hilarious moments, but it was also significantly more story and character driven. It was also significantly more action packed, with a great deal more fighting.

Two things that really impressed me about mob psycho 100 season 2:

The action sequences are amazing. They're movie quality and some are really creative. I've seen lots of fight scenes in anime and I have to say the Shimazaki fight is the best choreographed fight I have ever seen. The way teleportation is animated by keeping the character in the same position in the frame but changing the surroundings is a really simple but effective idea I've never see. Also bonus points for the perfect set up to the amazing ending of that fight (which I won't share here because it has no effect if you havn't watched the show and if you are intending to watch it then this moment shouldn't be spoiled). I'll just say that I replayed that moment over and over because it was the best thing ever.

The character driven plot is amazing. The fights can get pretty crazy, but honestly I was more impressed by the emotions and the relationships between characters. In that regard, my favourite episode was actually one where there was no fighting and hardly any use of psychic powers at all. In the story, psychic power comes from emotions, and well that's what the show really is about. Not ghosts and psychics and super powers, but emotions.

One thing though. I thought mob psycho 100 season 2 was going to be my favourite anime of all time. Now I'm a little hesitant, whether to put it first or second. This is because I thought the final episode wasn't as strong as it could have been, and after awhile the preachiness of 'you need companions not power' got a little too tiring. After the Shimazaki fight episode I was ready to rank it as number 1, but now I'm not sure it beats FMAB

FMAB has ranked number 1 on myanimelist.net for 10 years now at 9.24, beating kimi no na wa's 9.14 at second place. I think it's there for a reason because even though I think mob psycho had some moments which are simply amazing, it also has some flaws. FMAB in contrast felt flawless and I always thought it's conclusion was one of the best in any show I have ever watched. Great conclusions are not easy to do.

To be fair to mob psycho, season 2 isn't the end of the entire story. There's still a some bit of source material left, and perhaps the story as a whole would wrap up better. I've resisted reading ahead on the manga, and now that I'm done with season 2 and I don't expect season 3 to come out anytime soon (or if at all, it seems like there's not enough source material left for one full season), I guess I'll start reading the manga and wrap up this story.

All in all, it's great. 99% will recommend.

---