More Celeste

I made the previous post when I finished the main part of the original game. Since then, I've played the additional 'post game' content. In particular, there's this chapter 9 which got released in September this year that from what I gathered is brutally hard. I didn't want to spoil myself so I didn't read too much, but I remembered something about beating B sides before trying it. So that's what I did, I beat all the B sides, they weren't easy. I'm ready for chapter 9.

Turns out, beating B sides was not a recommendation but a prerequisite. The thing is HARD. And so here I am, writing this post here, after spending multiple days on a single chapter.

2773 deaths later, chapter 9 complete.


The last screen was especially brutal not because the obstacles themselves were tough, but because unlike the Celeste we're used to, it's a really long segment with no checkpoints. Celeste is a difficult game and players are expected to die a lot. How they make it less frustrating for players is through an abundance of checkpoints. Thus this last segment deviates from what has been the design of the game.

I guess it's meant to be a epic finale to the game, a final hoorah. Or maybe since the chapter's theme is grief, it's meant to show how overcoming it is not an easy process. Who knows, I was just so glad when I finally got past it.

Maybe it's time for me to say farewell to the game too, with this final chapter done. Can't believe I got this game for free, it's definitely been worth. I thought I'll be trying a variety of games while in India with my free time, but turns out it's just really been Celeste.

C-Sides though. Wasn't planning on doing them initially but given that I actually managed to complete chapter 9...

---

Two final amusing things:

1) In this game there's this thing called the golden strawberry, which you can obtain only if you complete the entire chapter without a single death. It's super hard, and of course you can only imagine how ridiculous chapter 9 golden strawberry would be. And of course there are people who have done it. The hilarious thing is, if you're doing a golden strawberry and you complete the final screen, instead of bringing you to the end it brings you to an additional segment you have to clear LOL. The devs are just being evil, imagine you didn't know this and you thought you finally got the golden strawberry and then BAM, one more extra segment for you, which you've never seen before and never got to practice. Good luck having no deaths!

2) After people like me spend hours of game time, spread across multiple days to finally finish this one chapter, of course TASbot is going to do it in 12 minutes. Of course.


---