Old School Games

I am suddenly reminded of the old school games I used to play.

And by old school, I mean REALLY old. I'm not talking about maplestory, nor my playstation 1 and gameboy games. I am going further back.

I am talking about WINDOWS 3.1 GAMES.

Why did my family even have a windows 3.1, I have no clue. But we had it and I used to play games on it.

Skunny Kart

My first kart game. I remember this game didn't require a CD, and you didn't even type in the command to go into windows (yes you used to have to type a command to launch windows). You literally start from the DOS and launch skunny kart from there. I forgot all about the sounds in this game but watching this video reminded me of the music and sound effects again.

Math for the Real World

I always had one of the songs 'are we there yet' stuck in my head from time to time even after all these years. Finally found it, and somehow I totally forgot that it was a math game and not a music game. I only remembered the key pit stops where you played the band, which is actually a rhythm game and for the hard levels my bro and I used to manage one key each because which 5 year old was going to hit those beats on two keys man. I also made my own music video and saved it on a floppy disk heh. Skimming through this video reminds me though once again that yes it was actually a math game and all these things like the cafeteria question, the traffic light and the pizza sharing are instantly familiar to me again.

Pajama Sam's Sock Works

I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS GAME. The best part was being able to create your own levels, and I spent so much time creating my own custom levels.

Fatal Racing

You always play as Reise Wagon because it's objectively the best car in the game. Also Tsunami Twister was the best map because of that twisted jump. Bob from Million Plus was the best AI because at some point in time when he decides he's not winning anymore he would just START DRIVING THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION AND TRY TO CRASH INTO YOU.

Spelling Blizzard

I remember the killer whales and feeding them fish to use them as boats. I remember the ice cubes and balls. Most of all, I remember level 'collect the letters of the world, chief' (7:16 in the video) because that level was stupid hard. Took ages to figure out you had to bait the wolf into blocking the arrow shot to be able to get the letter I. I also remember the Mississippi level and spelling it wrong and hearing over and over 'the time it takes to learn to spell is time invested... very well'.

---

The above are the 5 games that I remember with quite a fair bit of clarity. There were some others too like Jurassic park but I think that probably came much later, I don't quite remember exactly when.

There's also a bunch of other stuff I have forgotten but just rediscovered haha. Math blaster series, jumpstart math series, various other skunny games and much much more. Man I wish I could own a copy of all of these so I could just launch them anytime, just for memories.

And these are just all the pre internet days games I used to play. Before the days of dial up and neopets and gameboy. Wow that is truly long ago.

There is of course no way I would enjoy these games anymore, but it is certainly fun to see them again. They were instrumental parts of my life when I was growing up.

Also, these game series just reminded me of popcap games. That came much later, in my late primary and early secondary school days, but man I would totally replay popcap games. I used to be REALLY good at peggle, and I don't think I ever beat the challenge tanks for insaniquarium. 

---