Romcom??


So I've been reading a romcom. It's hilarious.

Kaguya-Sama is a very popular manga but I've always ignored it because of it's genre. It's premise also seemed rather silly.

Some time back though I got interested in it as I saw excerpts of it's meta-jokes. Seems that Kaguya-Sama is a romcom that is out to overturn romcom tropes. I'm quite a sucker for meta humour so that got my attention.

Bored at reservist after finishing the entire Fullmetal Alchemist manga during field camp (lel), I still had some time so I decided to start of Kaguya-Sama and see if I liked it.

I liked how they handled the silly premise, it wasn't as tacky as I expected it to be. Well you can't tell if a story is good just based off its premise I guess (see Your Name for example).

So I just read a bit here and there. It was okay, something you could read for fun.

Over time it grew on me. The manga is pretty well written in terms of characters and their stories. There is actually a sense of progression unlike many romcoms. It really does play off tropes well. There are moments where things do get more serious, and I like how it is done.

Many people will have their favourite chapters and characters I get it. My inspiration for this post though? I can't get enough of the male protagonist's dad. This is the best chapter in the manga I cannot.

---